Your church wedding in York
David and Marsha - a beautiful wedding in St Olave's Photos by Ashley Nesbitt Photography
We are delighted that you are considering a church wedding in the historic and beautiful city of York. There are now more churches to choose from for your special day and for generations to come. Our churches in York city centre are All Saints’ Pavement, St Denys, St Helen and St Olave, Holy Trinity Micklegate and St Lawrence. We also look after St Martin’s in Coney St – you may have a blessing service there but not the marriage service.
What do we need to do first?
Please contact the Reverend Canon Derek Earis who will be happy to guide you through the legal steps and ensure that your wedding day is personal, meaningful, spiritual, beautiful……..
Email Derek or phone 07984 655662.
And, if you're marrying in a church that's not where you live, your local church would still love to support you as you prepare for the wedding, and afterwards too.
There are some things about marrying in church that you just can't get anywhere else. You may attend or visit the place where you will be marrying as often as you like, there is usually a rehearsal for you and close family and friends – it’s a very special time as you prepare for your wedding day. It's your wedding. Let us help you make it personal, meaningful, spiritual, beautiful.
Where can we marry?
Use A Church Near You to find out which parish you live in or have a connection with. All you need is your postcode.
You can marry in a Church of England church if you can show that you have a connection with the parish.
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
- was baptised in the parish concerned, or was prepared for confirmation in the parish, or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months,or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
If none of the above apply to you, it is still possible to get married in one of our churches. This is usually by attending church for six months and becoming a member of that church. You can then meet the legal criteria as detailed above. You can normally make plans for the marriage service, book your reception etc during this time. The vicar will guide you with all of this.
How much does a church wedding cost?
You can view this at the Church of England website YourChurchWedding.org
There are other costs to take into account when getting married in our churches in York:-
- Verger £40* – the city centre churches rely on vergers to ensure that your ceremony takes place without interruption from passing public and tourists. Everyone is welcome in our churches but it is important that your marriage service is not disturbed.
Other optional costs, depending on which church you choose:-
- Organist £100
- Choir £240-£375*
- Bells £40-£250*
- Heat £40-£100* (September – April inclusive)
- Recording fee for DVD etc £65-£100*
*these are for2018. We are here to help so please do get in touch as you prepare for your wedding day.